Tuesday 19 July 2016

Gravity

When my friend Vicki was looking for a modern block of the month, I was quick to suggest Gravity by Jaybird Quilts to her.  I figured it was a win for both of us--she'd get to piece and own the quilt, and I'd get to quilt one.

I think longarm quilters have so much fun with this quilt, because the block pieces are large enough to put a lot of details in, without it being too stiff or overly quilted.  The quilt is approx 100x100 to give you an idea of scale.



The benefit of taking photos is that, when looking back at them later, one might spot the area of quilting that was missed--I missed some echoing in the center hexagon in the red block above.  I will stick that back on the frame to fix that.  The good news is the six sided star shape I wanted to create in the red block is visible.
 I'm so glad Vicki chose a wool batting, it shows the quilting so well, and I think she'll like it as a winter quilt as well.

The colors don't read true on my camera.  


 While each of the 8 blocks were quilted uniquely, all of the center hexagons in the very center blocks got the same treatment., again a unifying element. 

 Luckily for me, there are many finished Gravity quilts to look at on the internet, and so I was able to take some inspiration from those--I looked at quilts done by Tamarack Shack (Kathy), Quilting is my Bliss (Teresa) and Valerie's Threadtales (Valerie) .

I'm sure I saw others as well, but those are the ones I kept going back to look at again.  I didn't want to copy their work, but I sure took inspiration from them. 

 One of the things I really thought about was the background, and what to do there.  I was thinking about getting out the photos to start drawing, to see if I could put a stitched border all around the star when I saw a Gravity quilted by No Rules Quilting (Mary Dylke) and she had stitched a border all the way around.   Yay, it was possible.  And then I added her quilt to my inspiration list too.

When I did start to draw, I wasn't pleased with the 12 pointed star border, so I 'created' blocks by stitching 4 backgound diamonds the same, and thus created a 6 pointed star.  You really don't see it from the front, but from the back, it really shows.

First, here's a shot of the 'created' block and the border stitching from the front,
and the back.    The rays were something I'd seen on Kathy's Quilt (Tamarack Shack) and I really liked them, so incorporated them into my quilting as well.
 The thread was Invisafil Silver-Grey (I'm not sure the real name of that one), and while I generally find Invisafil 100 wt thread just melts into the fabric, it shows wonderfully on the front and back of this quilt.   The backing really is a true black, it just didn't photograph that way. 
I think the tough decision would be which way to face the quilt on the bed--it's quite reversible. 

Thanks Vicki, for letting me play with your Gravity quilt. 

and here's an unquilted photo 
 

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoy all your closeups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your work on this. It is stunning. I agree that those quilters are such great inspiration. Thanks for sharing all the photos of your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your work on this. It is stunning. I agree that those quilters are such great inspiration. Thanks for sharing all the photos of your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Michelle, this is gorgeous. What a lovely job you (both) did. I'll have to take another look when I come to quilt my Gravity quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love how you tackled this one. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful The backs are so impressive

    ReplyDelete