Tuesday 27 November 2018

Applique and X Blocks

 Katherine brought me this quilt.  If I recall correctly she said it is her first hand applique project. 


 I am not a hand appliquer myself, but I wouldn't have guessed this to be a first. 
 The applique was fairly dense, and we decided to just outline stitch it, and not do any background stitching.  Accordingly, we also kept the quilting in the blocks very simple and spaced out--a crosshatch through the center of the blocks. 

It is good for me to not quilt as densely as I normally do.  I think it turned out quite lovely. 
I used Invisafil thread around the applique (and on top of a few areas) and then, because I didn't want any thread build up in the tiny cornerstones where I'd have to meet my rows of quilting, I continued to use the Invisafil throughout the rest of the quilt.  Bottom Line in the bobbin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment