Monday 24 June 2019

Belle's Quilt



I inherited this quilt, and it's just too fun not to share.  It's made of polyester fortrel in the blocks, and I don't even know what the sashing and backing material is--some sort of non fray, because the top and backing are just sewn together at the edge--not even turned under.

 My aunts weren't quite sure if Belle (my great grandmother) had made this top for Fern (my Grandma) or if Fern had made the top for Belle and got it back at some point.    I've had a few back and forths with my aunt on facebook about this quilt, and she's pretty sure Belle made it for Fern.  She says that Belle would buy clothes at the secondhand store to make into her quilts, so the fabrics wouldn't really be recognized by anyone as being family clothing.   I understand why she had to 'buy' to make scraps, because she made a top for each of her grandchildren (and I think there were 49 or 50 of them?). 


This is Fern and Belle, 1992

 If you've ever attempted to quilt one of these old polyester quilts, you know its virtually impossible to make it lay flat--I love how these blocks are deliberately 3-D. 

Fern (Grandma), Belle (GreatGrandma), Elaine (Mom), Al (Great Grandpa)  and myself.  1972


There is a mixture of hand and machine quilting on this quilt--and I think the blocks were pieced by hand and machine too, and it was originally hand quilted, and has been repaired by machine.  It needed a few repairs when I got it, and my good friend Yvonne did that hand stitching for me.  

  I am pretty sure my Grandparents had outfits made with this blue floral below--but maybe Fern shared her scraps with her mother?  


Nope...I found the photo of my Grandparents that this fabric reminded me of....it's close but not the same.

Slim and Fern


And camo :)   Some things are always (never?) in style.  

2 comments: