Monday 21 October 2019

Star Storm Mini

I saw this Victoria Findlay Wolfe pattern, Star Storm Mini and wanted to make it.  I couldn't find any Canadian suppliers of the pattern, so ordered it directly from VFW.

In July, a few of my quilty friends and I went to Purple Katz's grand opening of their new storefront in Rimbey, Alberta, and I found fabric for this quilt there.  It wasn't an easy fabric pull, but we manged.   There is a lot of Alison Glass fabric in here.  

It's a little easier to see how the fabric pairings work in this second photo, taken when I got the fabrics home and had to pet and adore them for a while.  

My only regret in the fabric choices is putting the Mariners stripe in the very center star--it was very bulky for joining all the wedges, I think my center points would have matched much better with regular cotton.   I might have to make this quilt again, just to test my theory.

Terry Rowland was in Purple Katz that day as well, and she played fabrics with me for a while.  She also suggested that rather than using the templates provided in the pattern construction she'd make it using paper-less paper piecing.  I'd never tried that before so googled a tutorial or two--I like this one by Bryan House Quilts  and decided to give it a go.  Loved it!  It was a great method for this quilt. 
 I had fun with the quilting.  I double batted, which maybe made it a little too poofy for some tastes, but I love the texture I got.    The binding is machined on in these photos, but still needed the hand stitching.   Luckily for me, my friend Yvonne had lots of time for handwork this summer, and she stitched all my bindings for me, leaving me more time for quilting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment