Wednesday 30 May 2012

Watch for Elephants

 My Dad has always loved elephants, and, when we the kids would get bored on long drives (no iPods, no NintendoDS, no CD's even), he'd tell us to watch for elephants.

One day, when we lived in Grande Prairie, he came rushing into the house, wanting us to get in the car RIGHT NOW---no shoes or coat needed.  He'd actually seen an elephant walking down main street, but by the time we got back there, the elephant was back in the circus grounds.

Since then, Dad has travelled to Asia and Africa and seen many elephants in the wild, and also ridden elephants. 

So, when I saw this kit, I just had to have it. 

It's applique, which I just don't 'do'.  So, wouldn't you know it, I double checked on the first 3 fabrics, that I was fusing to the wrong side of the fabric, but when I got to that gorgeous Stonehenge fabric for the body of the elephant, all I could think about was centering this patch over the truck and this patch on the ear...and so I fused the pattern to the right side of the fabric, which is the wrong side of what I wanted to do.  So, I walked away for a few days, came back, and yay, had enough fabric in the kit to do those pieces again.  Yes, you guessed it, I made the same error AGAIN!!  (Now you know why I don't applique).  Luckily, I recognized the fabric as Stonehenge, Along Came Quilting had some in stock, and I eventually got it right.

I changed the borders from the kit--the kit had that zigzag fabric on 2 sides only...but too much of that fabric scrambled my brain anyway, so I changed it up a little, added the black.

To me, it seems as if the elephant is walking right towards me.







No comments:

Post a Comment