You may have already seen this antependium on my facebook page www.facebook.com/mmm.quilts, but I thought I'd add a few more photos here, as I know not everyone uses facebook (and I can see very good reasons not too...terrible time suck)
Here is the antependium on the frame (and you can maybe see the fabric roll on the left of the picture that I added this to the backing on the bottom of another quilt I was doing for the church, I've blogged about doing this before--efficiency and less fabric needed for the loading)
In the cross itself I used a woodgrain meander and I quilted some clamshells along the bottom, to represent hills.
It's double batted, so the quilting really shows well, even from a distance.
The fabrics were all scraps from quilts made for members of the congregation, or the banners on the wall, so there's some continuity. The piecing design is also the same as the wall banners, and very similar to the altar cloth. I'll add some pictures of those too, so you can see the whole effect...there are 6 banners that hang on either side of the sanctuary. First the left
I think I used the word antependium enough to have learned it well now :) A successful vocabulary lesson.