Thursday 22 November 2012

Forest Floor

This quilt is Heather's Turning Twenty.  It's in greens with lots of leafy fabrics, so we chose to do a freehand 'Forest Floor' all over pattern.

 It was an honour to have Heather ask me to quilt this, as, when I was first learning to quilt on my domestic sewing machine, Heather taught me a lot about quilting...how to break thread and stitch over a few stitches if you went off your stencil or pattern or turned the wrong way, and a whole lot of other very useful things.  She decided that she didn't want to wrestle with a quilt this large on her sewing machine. 
 I was a little nervous quilting this, because I've seen a quilt that Heather has quilted in leaves, and she does such beautiful work,  I wanted to live up to her standards.    Once I quit being nervous, I had a lot of fun.

 I think this Forest floor turned out well, if I do say so myself.  Thanks Heather, for trusting me with your quilt.
 a photo of my design board, as I worked, I could look at the different types of leaves.  The Forest Floor idea comes from Suzanne Earley's book.Meandering Magic

1 comment:

  1. Your freehand look really good Michelle. I probably would have taken the easier route of a panto so way to push yourself.

    ReplyDelete