Wednesday, 25 February 2015
These are the fabrics that I drew
Tuxedo Park patterns, called Patricia.
It was perfect, because the owner of these fabrics, and now this quilt, is Patrica! And, while she had given me these reproduction fabrics, everything I've ever seen her make in the past few years is much more modern and funky, and that's how I think of the Patricia Ribbons pattern--a funky looking double wedding ring.
The next step was to figure out if I had enough fabric for the rings (just), and to decide what to use for background. I was surprised and thrilled to find out that a solid background would be appropriate for use with these fabrics, because that also fit with my vision of a more modern looking quilt.
I did modify the pattern a little, as I wanted a different size than the pattern showed. I was very pleased with how it turned out. I had thought the pattern would give me lots of fun shapes for quilting in the background, but when I started drawing, I found that the shapes weren't consistent (different inside the corner rings than the side rings), so I decided to make them consistent by quilting in the remainder of the tessellations.
I had a lot of fun with this project.
Next years exchange is different, we are just to make a completed project and bring it for an exchange. It is supposed to be something new or a challenge...I have an idea already.