Tuesday 24 December 2019

Raffia Weave

This is my Raffia Weave- Violet Craft quilt.  I have had the pattern for some time, and this summer happened to buy a FQ pack of Violet Craft's Betty's Luncheonette fabric, so it was meant to happen :)   (I'm currently working on top #5 from this FQ pack, so you'll see lots of this fabric in the next year).  I LOVE how the fabrics just glow against the navy hand-dyed Osnaberg fabric.

 The pattern is written so that you can either paper piece the blocks, or piece them traditionally.  I was piecing at retreat, so I chose to piece traditionally, saves getting up and down to the iron continually.  The only rub was, when I went to lay out the blocks, I discovered that I had pieced them referring to the paper piecing template--which meant they were mirror image.   NO  problem, the layout still worked and together they went.  It wasn't until after quilting when I was squaring it up that I realised the errors of my ways--the lattice work isn't centered because of the mirror image thing. 


I could have centered it, but would have lost considerable size.  It is something that very few people would ever notice, and the quilt is still bright and colourful and warm and cozy, everything a quilt should be.

 Quilted with a design from Christina Cameli Step by Step FreeMotion Quilting book. 
I have gifted this to friends, contacted their daughter and arranged for her to pick up the box and put it under their tree.  The package is labelled as "from Santa", and of course, they will figure out it was me as soon as it's opened but in the meantime a mystery gift from Santa is fun !!


No comments:

Post a Comment