Wednesday 3 September 2014

Nancy's Quilt for Helen

First I've got to say that I love the motion the rotation of the blocks gives this quilt.

This quilt has special origins.  Nancy made this quilt for her sister-in-law Helen, with the left-over blocks (which we quilters sometimes call orphan blocks) from the quilts made for Helen's granddaughters.    Those quilts can be seen here and here.  Nancy even managed to fit in the green fabric from the quilt made for her daughter (niece of Helen).

So, that explains why the fabric choices are so broad in this quilt, and what makes this quilt extra special to a Grandmother and an Aunt..
 The dark fabric in the setting blocks also helps calm the quilt and pull it all together.

 The quilting treatment was an elegant curl meander.


I have heard that Helen loves her quilt...and well she should, Nancy did a great job with it. 



Here's a quick picture of each of the other quilts, in case you're not the type of blog reader that clicks on links :)  Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't, depends on my mood I guess.



1 comment:

  1. It really looks great and you are right, the dark setting blocks brings it all together nicely.

    ReplyDelete