Thursday 4 February 2016

100 Modern Quilt Blocks - Tula Pink

I finished this quilt in November, just slightly late for youngest's birthday.  And, then got busy with life and forgot to blog it. 


If you're a regular reader of my blog, you would have seen the blocks as I pieced them.  I joined a block of the month at Along Came Quilting and they sent me the fabric for 10 blocks each month.  It was a great way to do this quilt, as I don't have a large stash, and wouldn't have had any sort of fabric variety on my own.

 I used the layout on the cover of the book.  Youngest likes rainbows, and I wanted to use all of the blocks.  We chose a pale teal shot cotton for the sashing and border fabrics. 

Prepare for a lot of photos :)

I had the book, with closeups of Angela Walters amazing quilting, however, once I started quilting, I tried really hard not to refer to the book unless I was completely stumped, because I didn't want my quilting to be a copy of Angela Walters.  It is definitely inspired by her, I've taken a lot of classes, both in person and on Craftsy, taugtht by Angela, and if any block is identical to her quilting, it is happy coincidence. 

I used a wide variety of threads


I've photographed the blocks 4 at a time, but it's still a lot of photos.

Batting is QD wool.  Backing is a wide-flannel.   Quilt is 90x90.










It was fun, as youngest would come along and pick out her favorite blocks as I quilted.  (turned out it was most of them).












 I was really pleased with how well the quilting shows on the back too.  Lovely texture.
And this is what youngest did, as soon as I gave it to her
She likes it!! 



10 comments:

  1. Looks like one of my crazy projects. hahahahaha wonderful job....lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like one of my crazy projects. hahahahaha wonderful job....lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS is why I want to try quilting! GORGEOUS! Pure artistry, Michelle, and an absolute inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I remember you starting that quilt, What a fantastic finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your quilting is amazing. I'm exhausted just looking at the photos. A true labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Your youngest is one lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Total & Complete labor of love to wrap around your sweetie!
    Magnificent work, Michelle. I'm envious of every single bit of quilting you did on this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you did for the sashing and borders, it is so pretty and just so much to look at! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love it all and just might "borrow" a few of those ideas whenever I finally get around to quilting my version. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete