Thursday 11 February 2016

Simplicity 5 - Jenn's

I think this is the 5th Simplicity quilt I've quilted.  It's certainly the largest one.  I forget exactly, but I think it was 105x128.  



I actually have some unquilted photos (I so often forget to take those) for comparison, to see what the texture adds to the quilt.

 As you may have noticed, the large brown border is only on 3 sides of the quilt--the 'overhangs' and not at the top of the quilt.  This is so the body of the quilt, the pieced blocks, all lay on top of the bed.

And, it is important to note, that Colleen did all this precise piecing.    I think there are 28 fabrics in the blocks, and Colleen said she used a whole cone of thread in the piecing.
 That's a 12' frame, to give you an idea of scale. 
 And our king size bed.  I think Jenn must have a much deeper mattress that she wanted to cover.  We also wanted to make sure there was room for the takeup in quilt length and width from the quilting--which was about 2" if I recall correctly.
The client chose this E2E design for her quilt, which was a great choice, adding a nice texture and movement to the quilt, without detracting from the piecing.  

I really like how the block below stands out, because of the light corners.

 I hope you get many years of enjoyment from this quilt Jenn. ( Jenn sent a photo of it on their bed, and it looks great in their space)
Batting is Hobbs 80/20, thread is Omni.

2 comments:

  1. I like your idea of taking a picture before you quilt. The quilting really brought this quilt to life.

    ReplyDelete