Monday 15 February 2016

Odd Fellows March

This quilt was pieced by my Aunt Linda, and I quilted it for her, last July.   It was a lot of fun quilting this scrappy quilt, because some of the fabrics are scraps from quilts my Aunt made for my kids.


Here's a pre-quilting photo.  I had such fun planning the quilting.  This is the perfect quilt for a continuous design, and I wanted to use Kim Stotsenbergs Heavy Metal technique. 
 This is why this quilt is so much fun....here is the actual block. 
It's how the block goes together with its neighbours to create stars (small and large) and square in squares (depending on where your eye focuses), and I wanted both to be able to stand out.  Having those lines be doubled is what made the stitching path continuous.  Plus, I liked how it looked. 



 As I tell my students, take a photo of the top borders, so you remember what you did when you get to the bottom.  Also, see how the design doesn't go right to the edge?  Thats so the points don't get lost in the binding. 


I love how it looks on the back too
 And here are the quality control checkers--some of my Aunts Grandchildren.  I think they approved.
I love how this quilt turned out.  Thanks for letting me quilt it for you Linda.

4 comments:

  1. Great use of the heavy metal quilting. I have to keep that in mind too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks amazing Michelle. Think the children have given it the seal of approval.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilting Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how that turned out. I've taken Kim's HM class myself but haven't had the chance to try the designs on a quilt yet.

    ReplyDelete