Friday 14 July 2017

Dear Jane

This is Katherine Murray's Dear Jane.

If you are unfamiliar with Dear Jane, the original quilt was made by Jane Stickle circa 1863, and it has been well preserved and a pattern made.  More information can be found at www.dearjane.com



Katherine has seen the original, and brought photos of it for me to see.  From that, we chose the angular quilting in the setting triangle border blocks and the echo quilting of the scallops.
As you can see in the block above, Katherine finished piecing Dear Jane in 2015, and has 5379 pieces in this quilt.    I don't recall seeing any duplicate fabrics in the blocks, but there were a lot of blocks, so I cannot say for sure.

Katherine wanted the quilting fairly light--but she loves feathers and so I added those in where I could.  
I started trying to choose which photos to show here--and then decided that anyone reading this would want to see them ALL!






wool batting.  so fine thread.  
Thank you, Katherine, for trusting me with your Dear Jane.   I probably won't ever piece one, but I sure enjoyed quilting it.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful job Michelle! What a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great result. I too have quilted one of these. Like you I quilted each block to suit. I think this is the only way to quilt a Dear Jane. I hate it when I see an all over edge to edge on them. Well done, top job!

    ReplyDelete