Wednesday 27 December 2017

Winding Ways

 Katherine made this winding ways quilt for her daughter.  Isn't it lovely?   I've asked to be adopted.

 She tried the Quick Curve Ruler method, and didn't care for it, so Katherine then cut all her pieces using accuquilt dies and found that much more to her liking.  It's a good reminder to try some sample blocks before forging ahead and cutting all the fabric for a project.  I've been taught this before--but all to often I tend to forge ahead.
 Katherine asked me to quilt this quilt similarly to how Dara Tomasson of Stitched Quilting Co quilted a similar quilt   I had seen Dara's pictures when she first posted them, and really liked them, so it was easy to take inspiration from her work. 
The feathers provide such great movement, and really help define the light circles.  However, you can still see the dark circles--so you can focus on whichever of those you please.  I love working on Katherine's quilts, and admiring her fabric choices.
The quilting is entirely hand guided, and not marked, so there are some variations in how the 'petals' are quilted--but I like that effect.




 We used wool batting, which gives such great texture, as well as being warm and cozy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment