Wednesday 16 November 2016

Hunter Star

Ethel made this Hunter Star quilt for her daughter.

My job description was to make the stars stand out, and put something nice in the borders. 
I tried a few different designs in the background fabric--and it was just too busy--it either fought with what I tried, or swallowed it whole such that I couldn't even see it.  I decided that straight lines were the only quilting for that background.  We didn't want to get into full custom territory though, so they are freehand u-turns.


The Studio 180 Rapid Fire Hunter Star ruler helps make these blocks very accurate.

 Tamping down that background helped make the stars stand out more, and I added a nice puff feather/continuous curve design in the stars.

 The puff feather was to go with the Nemeshing feathers I quilted on the border--where the quilting was visible!  I used a purple thread to help the quilting show.

 I am totally in love with the texture of these Nemeshing feathers.  I'm trying to figure out how to put them on the quilt I'm working on now. 
 I love my Innova--I'm able to stitch in the ditch horizontally and vertically enough to SID borders without using a ruler. 

 The colors of the quilt are quite true in the photo below--you can see the purple thread in the borders and the color of the minkee backing on the seam allowance--a lovely silvery purple.
Thanks Ethel, for letting me play with your Hunter Star.  I've been wanting to quilt another one for a while now. 

1 comment:

  1. Your quilting certainly makes the stars pop.good choice of background quilting to achieve that. What a lovely coloured minkee. Love Bethannes nemeshing.

    ReplyDelete