Wednesday 12 December 2018

Elevated Abstractions - Mt Hood

This is my Elevated Abstractions - Mt Hood quilt, a paper pieced pattern by Violet Craft.  

We love the mountains in our house, and are very fortunate to live close to Banff National Park.    We can see the mountains from afar as we drive around Calgary, and quite regularly make the drive, in both summer and winter, for camping, hiking and skiing.

I had a lot of fun quilting this wallhanging, going for lots of angular stitching patterns, with some curves to change things up a bit here and there.  The wind is blowing in the evening sky, and the moon is high.

 I put a faced binding on this wall hanging, a type of knife edge finish, so you don't see the binding on the front. 

I simplified the piecing of the moon A LOT from the pattern, I used only 2 fabrics, but they were batik, so I got lots of movement and color variation, and didn't use as many pieces as the pattern called for.   I was getting lazy by then LOL


I had fun playing with different threads

and here is a photo of the 'flimsy' so you can see the texture added




No comments:

Post a Comment