Monday 10 December 2018

Soulful Windows

I saw this Soulful Windows (pattern is currently available on Pat Bravo's site) quilt on Kathleen Quilts blog, and knew I wanted to make it.  Luckily, Quilting from the Heart was selling kits, and dh just happened to be driving through Camrose the next day.  So he had to detour and pick up a quilt kit for me.

I pieced it, and then it had to sit and wait (since 2015!!) in the queue while other quilts took precedence, but finally, this past summer, it was time!

 I looked at Kathleen's quilt one more time, and then took some photos and did my own sketching.  I loved Kathleen's work, and wanted to be inspired by hers, but not to be the same, so only the one referesher peek.

 I like to put some tracing paper over the photo--that way I can set aside designs and come back to them....then I did a 'master copy' so I'd have a reference as I quilted.  I did change some things up as I went along, but it is useful to have a map.
Because of the diagonals on this quilt, I basted the whole thing, and then I could roll back and forth with abandon.  I wanted to quilt in the diagonals,  Which meant for a LOT of rolling.   I started in the corners. 
 And after a while I decided to add some more texture to those outside white diagonals. 
I started out with some piano key lines around the gold (where the spirals are now) but wasn't happy with it, so out they came.  I'm much happier with the spirals.  
 The swirls/spirals are repeated in a few places, but also a little different. 
I can happily spend a lot of time looking at this quilt.  I used some designs from the classes I took with Jodi Robinson
The backing is a soft flannel.  When kids start to move out in a few years, I've got a quilt ready for the guest bed !!



No comments:

Post a Comment