Sunday 20 October 2019

Good Fortune to Mis-Fortune back to Good Fortune

I made Bonnie Hunter's 2018 Mystery Quilt Good Fortune


I got all the way to this stage, and realized something was wrong- I wasn't happy with the top, I couldn't see the secondary designs I had hoped to see....were my fabric choices really wrong? 
 Nope--I figured out the next day as I was laying out the first pieced border that I had assembled every blue block incorrectly.    Now this quilt was called Mis-Fortune!    I took the corner one off and took it apart to rearrange.  They should have looked like the block below.

I left it be for a day or two, consulted some wise and experienced quilting friends.   I was a little concerned about ripping the whole quilt apart, especially because all the units in the blue blocks are triangles, thus bias, thus prone to stretch.   I had pretty nice points and a flat quilt top as it was, and was concerned I'd not be happy with a ripped apart and re-stitched quilt top.

And ultimately decided to leave it be.  

 I took off one column and added it as an extra row to the bottom, which meant some adjustments and a coping strip instead of the first pieced border according to the pattern.
 This quilt was made 100% with materials I had on hand--in my stash.  I cannot say that very often, so that was fun.   I think one of the reasons I wanted to make this quilt was because I wanted to use that orange floral. 
 Moving that column to a row, changing the quilt from square to rectangle to change the dimensions is what turned it back to Good Fortune again--this quilt is now an appropriate size and will be donated to Quilts of Valour which I think is a very good thing.
 
 I even had this backing in the stash....good fortune again :) 

3 comments:

  1. I think you made the right decision. It looks great and no one will know unless you tell them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it!! and you did the boo boo enough times it made it a new design element - and I new take on a block - so Great job!! and it really is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete