Monday 30 November 2020

Dinosaurs- Elizabeth Hartman

I made these dinosaur pillows for my 3 year old nephew, who just got his "big boy bed".   Coincidentally, the bedding his Mom got him was also dinosaur themed, so I was definitely on the right track.  I think these big pillows are just the thing for leaning against while reading in bed. 


The pattern has directions for a couple of different sized pillows, I'm pretty sure I modified these a bit from the pattern.   I made a 20" and a 26"     One of the things I really like about how Elizabeth Hartman writes her patterns is she gives the directions to  make the quilt or to make one block at a time.  She often even gives multiple options for quilt size.   And there are usually instructions to make a pillow.
  My absolute favorite are the stubby little T-rex forelegs.
This was the third October in a row that I found myself making Elizabeth Hartman pillow(s).   I usually do them at my quilting retreat.  This year I got to work at home.  What is really neat is I can tell that my accuracy has improved.  I think two things really contributed to the improved accuracy. 


  First, using a wool pressing pad.   I have a friend who does amazing precision piecing, and she says the wool pad has improved her precision--something to do with the fibers not allowing the fabric to shift and distort when pressing. 
And second, using the  corner pop ruler --traditional piecing would have you drawing a line across the diagonal, sewing on the line, and then trimming the excess fabric.  The problem is I am challenged at drawing straight lines, even using a ruler!     So, with the Corner Pop ruler I cut first, then sew.   And I'm more accurate, so that's a win.

When the offcut is too small for the corner pop, or if you want to try this method with a regular ruler--line up the 1/4" on the diagonal and then trim. 

 

2 comments:

  1. These are SOOO CUTE!!! He will be so thrilled, plus they will grow with him!

    ReplyDelete